The role of school
"This is where children and young people learn and they have adults that they trust"
Schools are ideally placed to provide a safe environment to have honest conversations about death and grief, not just with bereaved pupils but with all pupils. The benefits of these conversations will be for pupils to:
- Reflect on the impact of the pandemic or other major world or local events.
- Feel more prepared for any bereavements in the future.
- Build their emotional literacy and normalise any feelings of grief.
- Start to build their resilience and develop empathy for others.
- Develop confidence when responding to bereaved peers.